Thursday, March 21, 2013

Maui, Hawaii


In February Eric and I went to Maui!  We had so much fun!
This map comes from Access maps.com

What sucked was I got sick right before we left.  Then I gave it to Eric.  We ended up leaving Bellingham at 3 am so we could drive to Seattle and catch our flight at 7:30 am.  With the driving and flights Eric and traveled for over 12 hours (Well worth it).

View from condo
Our condo was in Kihei on the dry west side of the island.  I rented it off VRBO from a private person and I was a little nervous about it.  But, once we got there...boy were we surprised.  The place was awesome.  If you are ever looking to go to Maui I would recommend Gayle's Condo as a place to stay.  The whole condo complex (Luana Kai) was pretty awesome.  It had a pool, a hot tub, and a great outdoor kitchen.  Plus it was pretty much right on the Beach.

Tinna and I had to put our feet in the ocean and I had a margarita in my glass!
One of the things we did was take a snorkeling trip to Molokini with the Pacific Whale Foundation.   Now if you ever go snorkling at Molokini you need to go in the morning (7 am departure).  In the afternoon the trade winds pick up and it can make the ride choppy and limit visibility.  While the fish may like it if you get sea sick...you wont.
Sunrise over Haleakala Crater
Eric and his white legs!


















First we stopped at Molokini.  I bought an underwater bag for my camera.  It took ok Pictures...I had some technical difficulties but I did get some ok pictures. At this stop I pushed all the air out of the camera.  But, then sometimes the zoom would get pushed and that just caused issues.  

It was Erics first time snorkeling in the Ocean.  It was a little intimidating for him but he did have fun.  I think he would of been better off without all the floating devices! 
 After we left Molokini we went to a place called Turtle Arches.  This time I left air in the bag for the camera and had difficulty focusing...so if anyone buys the bag get all the air out of the bag and figure out a way to disengage the zoom.
Eric did better here.  He was a little more comfortable.  What was funny there was it was like a game of marco polo.  People would yell turtle turtle and then you would swim as fast as you could in the direction they are pointing.  Now Hawaiian Sea Turtles are endangered and it is a $10,000 fine if you touch one.  When I finally got to see one...it was so close I had to try and swim away so it didn't touch me!!!!
She made a turtle friend!

After our snorkeling adventure we slowly made our way back to the harbor and ran into some Humpback whales.
Humpbacks come to Maui every winter to have their calves...or at least the mother come to have calves while the males are looking for love.
I think the baby is saying this is the best day ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment